About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Monday 31 October 2016

Announcement. Chassis Jig

Sorry, all sold out.
___________________
I have been banging on about an announcement for a little while now. 
Well, today is the day, i won't make you wait any longer.
so without further ado.
From
Pine Road Models

Here it is

Chassis Jig
Above is what is included in the box.

After recently getting into building a few locomotive kits. The age old method of placing chassis frames onto a piece of glass to get them flat and square just didn't seem to work to well for me. 

Trying to hold everything together while you solder it up and using the pins to line things up with the coupling rods just didn't seem good enough for me.

There has to be a better way.

I had been thinking about this for a while. There are a couple of chassis jigs on the market but very expensive if you are only building the odd kit.

While driving down the M40 early one morning it suddenly struck me. After lots of thinking and drawing out i found someone to make a prototype. 
Hey, this actually works.

It is made from stainless steel so that fluxes shouldn't attack the steel and is nice and heavy to stay put while you are fiddling.
The Jig comes supplied with 3 pins

The Chassis Jig will take any Chassis up to 25mm wide (including bearings) front to rear axle centers 130mm and takes 1/8 inch axle.

It is ideal for
 3mm scale, 4mm/00/EM/P4


Those of you that build Locomotive kits, these photo's are probably self explanatory. If you take your time and make sure everything falls together there is no reason why you shouldn't end up with a perfectly flat, square and perfectly running chassis.

I have had a batch made to sell, so if anyone is interested in buying one.
 Please contact me via the contact form on the right hand side of this blog.
For the time being i will sell them the old fashion way via a cheque they retail at 
£79.95+£4.50 postage for UK residents.
Outside of the UK Please contact me for postal rates.
I have added a Paypal Button 
Please Note!
Paypal Button is for UK orders only, i cannot afford to send outside of UK for £4.50

They are also available through.
  
So to more Photos.

The idea. 
Your start point using the hole on the left.
Chassis jig and pins


Place first set of bearings on pins, use one frame side to roughly line them up.
Chassis Jig, pins and bearings

Place both chassis frames and the second set of bearings on the pins and push them through.
If the frames don't sit on the bearings naturally then you have just found how accurate using this jig can be.
File the holes so the frames just slot onto the bearings.
DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING
Use the coupling rods that came with your Loco kit to centre your axle
You can now solder the bearings to the frames
I found it easier to push each frame and bearings to the inside edge of the jig to solder the bearings in place 
I use a 50w Antex soldering iron and 188° solder with plenty of flux
Chassis Jig

You are now ready to solder the frame spacers in place

Chassis Jig

I'm not saying using this jig is any quicker than any other method but it does hold everything flat, square and true.
Any question please contact me on the contact form

I am just a Modeller that came up with an idea to help other Modeller's 



No comments: