About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Monday 24 April 2017

Back to the Adams B4

It's been sat in the box for sometime now but finally got back to sorting out some of the issues with the B4.
The biggest problem was valve clearance, crank pins bouncing off of cross heads.
Solution was a bit drastic but it works.
I cut the cylinder block in half to widen them out a bit, soldering each one on individually.
The other thing i did to help solve this problem was to countersink the crankpin holes in the wheels. I'm sure Romfords crankpins never had such a thick shoulder on them.
Sounds a bit drastic, but, bloody hell it works.
Adams B4 Chassis

 As you can see below, there is not a lot of room.
Already to be pulled apart, cleaned up and repainted. 
B4 crankpins crosshead clearance
 Now the chassis is sorted, we can turn to the body. So far, this is going together well. I always screw the running board to a piece of ply with white metal kits in the hope of keeping them flat and square until some of the body has been built. Probably sounds obvious but don't solder anything over the screws!     

By-the-way, i found another use for "The Chassis Jig".
It's great for setting up and trying out your motor/gearbox assembly
Pine Road Models Chassis jig
used for setting up motor/gearbox assembly.
You like these, i can tell.
Here's another one
as they say.


  
   

No comments: